1) Walking is mans best medicine- even 30 minutes of walking a day lowers your risk for diabetes, heart disease, osteoporosis, and certain cancers.
2) Know what person the disease has rather than what disease the person has. This means we should take a total approach to the patient including the personality, the home environment, relationships, diet, facial expressions even before diagnosing and treating someone. Its impossible to understand the illness without understanding the whole person.
For example- many obese patients are in toxic relationships, have a stressful job, and poor sleep. Its hard to fix the obesity if the underlying cause is not fixed. Today a woman called who had gastric bypass 10 years ago at weight 300lbs. She went down to 130 and now is back at 200. Its important to analyze diet as well as job, stress, exercise- factors that contribute to rebound in weight gain.
3) Let food be thy medicine-
No matter what eating style you follow, if its based on unprocessed foods, colorful plants, and little added sugar, and unsaturated fats in moderation- you are likely to be healthier and live longer.
Less stroke, or heart attack occurs in people who live a healthier lifestyle, whereas processed foods, sugar, animal fats, and artificial chemicals, can activate disease causing genes – they also lack the healthy nutrients that activate protective genes.
4) everything in moderation-Even water, exercise supplements and sleep can be damaging if taken to extreme. Too much VItamin A or Vitamin D can lead to headaches and increased pressure on the brain. Even too much kale can be harmful because it can prevent your thyroid from absorbing the iodine it needs
5) To Do nothing is also a good remedy
Todays medicine seems to tend towards ordering tests and doing procedures rather than listening to patients to make a diagnosis and treatment plan- even if some of the tests and procedures are unnecessary. Sometimes the best diagnostic tool we have is time.
For example- Giving antibiotics for a cold- the antibiotics wont help and it could an allergic reaction, a yeast infection or dangerous diarrhea, not even to mention the development of resistant bacteria.
If your doctor wants to prescribe high blood pressure medicine or cholesterol lowering medicine at the first sign of a high number- consider that you can change your diet and exercise routine first.